n a rut?

Every Christian gets in a spiritual rut from time to time. So what can you do when you are in one. Here are 4 options that have helped me.

1) Surround yourself with godly people (not Christians). This is huge. Be sure to get around people that look, talk, think, and smell like Jesus. What I mean by (not Christians) is that I know a lot (too many) of so called strong Christians that don't reflect Christ at all. Avoid those people and cling to those that reflect Jesus.

2) Get in the Word. This is hard because when we are in ruts the last place we want to be is in the Word. But that is one of the ways He pulls us out. When we are stuck in a rut we often feel discouraged, hopeless, fearful, sinful, etc. When we read His Word it gives us hope, it takes our fears, it encourages us to keep on keepin on, and it reminds us that He is still on the Throne.

3) Mix it up. Read a book (I recommend the one to the right by Francis Chan). Listen to a sermon podcast via iTunes or a great worship playlist. (I have some recommended ones on the right as well.) Create time and space to be alone for a couple hours or a day just being with Him. Whatever it is just break the routine. As Pastor Dave Moenning taught me create space for the Holy Spirit to move.

4) Go serve someone. Buy that homeless man a Happy Meal and eat with him. Show up early to church and help set up. Write someone an encouraging note. Do something nice for your neighbor. Do whatever you got to do to take the attention off you and put it on someone else. Scripture tells us that He will elevate the humble. Lift up others and Christ will lift you up.

If you know of another option please let me know...thanx

1 comments:

Spiritual ruts are tough and hide themselves in many different ways. I like to read something that really impacted me before to see if GOD will show me something new. This works for me. Also just following up on my reading even when I don't want too. I am constantly challenged on loving not only those that are easy to love but those that are not easy to love. As far as Chan's book it's epic and there is definitely more to come on that as I truly compare my life to the gospels. love ya bro!