I hate brokeness


Today I went to the post office which is next to Goodwill so there are often down and out people around there. The first person I met was a lady who began banging on my car as I was backing out. She told me how hungry she was and just needed a couple bucks. No worries, here are some crackers. She gives me a bad look and stuff them in her pocket. I go on my way and as I pass by the bus stop nearby there is...Rodney. Rodney was laying on the ground sideways with his motorized wheelchair all taken apart trying to fix it. Rodney was beat up by the police at the age of 17 (Rodney said it was His fault not theirs). The injury left Rodney (now 36) with stroke like symptoms. He moves extremely slow and can't function his arms or legs like normal. So I began to assist Rodney and I was blown away. Rodney was unlike any homeless person I'd ever met. He was smart and driven. He was like McGyver when it came to the wheel chair. He took it all apart, fixed it right there, and put it all back together moving at a snails pace with claw like hands. It gets better, as I get a screwdriver out of his bag I notice he's got 3 well worn Bibles. This of course leads me into a conversation about his faith. For the next hour Rodney proved to to be one of the most together Christians I've met in a long time. He was quoting scripture, asking me biblical questions, and I realized Rodney was just on fire for the Lord. Not once did crippled, broken, and homeless Rodney ask me for anything which only made me want to give Him the world. I can't imagine life on the streets. I can't imagine life as a crippled. I can't imagine life on the streets as a cripple. He says because of his disability he is constantly getting robbed, and actually has only been homeless for 3 months. He has an intern job at Disney which has potential to earn money. I hated telling him goodbye. Knowing I'd soon forget about him and he has to live in complete hardship everyday. Where is there hope for Rodney? Where is there love, peace, joy? Yeah from Christ but I'm not sure if "His grace would be enough for me" if I was in Rodney's shoes. Pray for Rodney. I have his email address and look forward to talking to him again soon. PS: if you know of any low income apartments or free ones please let me know.

0 comments: